Fund-Raisng Events and Amount Raised to Date
We were set a target of £100,000 to fund a 2 year project, this was to rise to £214,000 when the Draft Proposal was received and subsequently rose to £229,000 when £15,000 was sent to fund Professor Susan Hollan's TPI research in Hungary. Another £20,000 was given towards the Hungary project in January 1997, followed by a further £20,000 in 1998.
These grants to Professor Susan Hollan in Hungary upped the projected cost of the 3 year program to be in the region of £260,000.
To date we have raised almost £350,000 and were able to extend the 3 year project by a further 12 months to the end of 1999.
The TPI research at Kings is now on hold awaiting further funding
Fund-raising continues, albeit at a slower pace here in the UK, but in Australia the family of baby TPI sufferer Ebony are determined to raise the necessary funds to continue the TPI research.
Once again we were unsuccesful in applying for a grant application from the National Lottery.
Fund-raising started in July 1994 with a Car Boot Sale, which raised £800. Soon after that James's story featured in the local press and his family were interviewed on local TV and Radio. This proved to be the break needed and from then onwards friends, relatives, work colleagues, neighbours and people the family did not know came forward to help. The media were kept informed via weekly faxes etc,etc and within 2 months over £40,000 was raised!
The fund continued to rise as follows:-
End of October 1994 - £60,000
End of December 1994 - £90,000
End of March 1995 - £120,000
End of June 1995 - £144,000
End of September 1995 - £170,000
End of December 1995 - £195,000
End of March 1996 - £225,000
End of June 1996 - £245,000
End of September 1996 - £255,000
End of December 1996 - £265,000
End of April 1997 - £270,000
End of December 1998 - £310,000
End of September 1999 - £330,000
End of April 2000 - £350,000
Listed below are some of the fund-raising events:-
- Cross Channel Windsurf attempt by James's Uncle Peter, raised about £10,000 ;
- About 20 Parachute Jumps, including 1 from Jordan's Dad and 2 from James's Dad;
- Lands End to John O Groats Walk by Pat and Alan Blakeman and 65 year old Les Smith;
- 6 Golf Days at Hazel Grove Golf Club, Stockport, Cheshire, raised about £35,000;
- Sportsmans Dinners;
- Manchester United XI v Stalybridge Celtic, March 25th 1996 raised £3,000. Special programmes were made for this game, if you would like more info, contact Dave Stewardson.
- Mike Green Family Mini Triathlon, raised £1,500;
- Cabaret Evenings;
- Casual Dress Days;
- Mini-Triathlon by 7 year old Samantha Gurney, raised £2,700;
- Marathon Golf Round by Dan Gurney and Ian Boswell, raised £2,000;
- 3 Peaks Challenge by 10 years old Laura Holden, raised £1,500 ;
- Various schools events, especially Offerton High and Cheadle Hulme in Stockport and Fairfield High Widnes;
- Marathon Swim by 9 year old Aaron Vandermark, raised £1,500;
- Bramhall Round Table 5 mile run, raised over £2,000;
- Barn Dance on the Wirral, raised £1,325.
- Sponsored bike ride by Alex McBride aged 5 years, raised £750.
- Sponsored bike ride by Ricki Goode, raised £1,550.
- Jim Herron (Royal Mail Post Office) Sponsored 1996 Manchester Marathon, raised £750.
There have been many, many more fund-raising events, far to many to mention them all.
£5,000 donation from the Duchess of York.
£3,000 donation from Mike Pickering of Manchester Dance Band 'M People'.
£1,000 donation from S McBrien (Niall Quinn's friend).
£1,000 donation from Bramhall Round Table.
£1,000 donation from Financial Options, Salford Quays.